We did lots and lots of research and shopping before moving into this huge space. For months I scoured the antique stores and flea markets searching for anything that I thought would fit into our new concept. After buying the architectural pieces, I began thinking about the floor. It was HUGE and it was covered with a very old linoleum that was in terrible condition.
It was obvious that the floor had to be covered or painted. I had some experience in painting floors; I had previously painted the floor in the great room in my home and I thought it would be a good idea to give it a try. But before the floors were to be painted, we needed to develop the rooms.
My good friend, Dennis Birchler (an architect), and I spent months planning the entire area. He was instrumental in incorporating the architectural pieces as I designed the various "rooms." Wanting each room to have it's own character, I designed the floors throughout.
To complete the project, I contracted with a faux painter who used an oil-based paint to complete the project. The photo below shows a faux tile with a fleur-de-lis placed sporadically.
The cobblestone pattern was painted using several colors of paint, a large stencil, and the shadows painted by a very small brush. Yes, it took forever!
And finally... the bricks. The stencil that he used made painting this section a little faster.
So there you have it. Watch your step!